Thursday, December 17, 2009
I'm Asian, for those of you who don't know. I try very hard to downplay this fact because of crazy emotional baggage (Asians, right?). Anyway, I am. So there. Make all the math/violin/angry parents jokes you want. I'm not really in tune with Asian culture except for when it comes to food. And then I'm all bear-on-a-rampage. There was some study done on... [immigrants or something?] where they found that of all the cultural things that eventually get sapped or shamed out of a person from a different culture, food-related culture is the last thing to go. That's why, even when I was an American Eagle-wearing, top 40-listening, dance team-participating Midwestern girl, I really also just liked chomping on whole boiled baby octopods and slurping sweet peanut and silken tofu soup.
I've been out of high school for a while now, and I've also moved far from my parents. I visit them rarely. So today, when I received two boxes worth of Asian snacks that my dad brought back from his trip to Taiwan (yeah that's where I'm from), I positively flipped out and started tearing through the beautiful (and excessively wasteful) packaging. Here is a sampling of my thoughts:
- i have had two pineapple cakes already and I'm feeling like a fatty. but i will forge on to puffed rice thingies.
- i am going to be a sphere tomorrow from all the fat, sugar, and salt
- MOAR PUFFY RICE THINGS PLZ
- i should save that package.
- should i save that package?
- i should save that package
- i'll open this one instead
- do i want to hoard this, or give it away or something?
- i should really hide these from myself
- what is this one?
- oh yeah i LOVE this one!!
- ok i should pace myself so i have some later on
- i don't think anybody but me would like this kind so i can eat one more
- what if my boyfriend gets home and sees me covered in crumbs?
- NO MOAR THOTS OMNOMNOMNOM *crumbs spew*
from that point on i turn into a hissing, clawing thing if approached.
Are there foods you associate with your identity? Are any of them shameful? (If so, you may want to come to my guilty pleasures potluck during which all foodie presumptions are tossed aside for some cheesy hotdish and maybe like shrimp chips or something)