Monday, August 2, 2010

Clawfooty

My renewed effort to learn how to bake started with belligerently making clafoutis (not actually pronounced the way it looks in the title of this post) while the boy was off playing ultimate frisbee with other steely-calved peers. It's basically crepe batter on fruit and baked. I used this recipe: RECIPE. In all honesty, it doesn't taste as fancy as it looks, though it is quite tasty. I suppose "rustic dessert" is the most apt description. I'm not knocking on it, just sayin'. Looks rrl rrl fancy when you have individual ones in scalloped dishes. Like so:




(squeeee I made those!)

I may have been on the verge of yelling "I CAN *SO* BAKE!!" when I pulled them out of the oven. They weren't quite as custardy the next evening as I felt like they should have been, so I'm not sure what to add or subtract for more custard-texture-action; possibly more eggs? Less baking? Somebody with more experience, help me out here.

I think my next project will either be a reader-submitted recipe, or some wildly-difficult layer cake with crazy candy decoration which I will ultimately get frustrated at and chew with undue savagery. So uh... maybe somebody should post a recipe?

Also, I should really stage my food photos so I don't always need to use the macro setting to make it look good.

Rule: Butter and sugar will always smell great together.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

SANDYFACE! You = awesome, and baked goods = awesome. Therefore, either you are a baked good or you baking goods = awesome^2. I may or may not be a geek. Here is a tricky-but-not-impossible flour-less three-layer cake recipe that's been in my family for longer than I have. Hope it comes out yummy!
A.

"Mechta" ("Wish")

For the dough:
7-10 egg whites
250g walnuts, crushed (as with a rolling pin) but not crumbled
200g sugar

Beat the egg whites with the sugar, then mix the nuts, and divide the mixture into three parts.
Butter a cake pan, pour in one part, and put in the oven at 400-425F. Put the rest of the mixture in the fridge, so that it doesn't fall.
Bake until a toothpick comes out clean and the surface is firm. Then let it rest for a bit, take it out, and set it aside.
Repeat for two more layers.

For the cream:
1 can condensed milk
3 tbsp dark cocoa
vanilla extract, if available
5 egg yolks
300-400g butter

Take the butter out of the fridge and let it stand for a while, until it's at room temp.
Whip the butter in a blender or with a spoon until it reaches cream consistency.
Slowly mix the cocoa into the condensed milk (it might be better to use a small portion of condensed milk here, as cocoa has a tendency to lump, and lumps are bad), then mix in the yolks and the vanilla.
Mix the cocoa mixture into the butter, gradually, a bit at a time, so that it becomes homogeneous.


Once all the layers are cool, put cream in between the layers and on the outsides, then place it in the fridge. It'll get better as the cream soaks in. You can also decorate the top with leftover walnuts.

Unknown said...

This sounds super awesome. Do I beat the egg whites until they're stiff though?