Monday, May 4, 2009

You're cordially invited to share your thoughts

Rule: Share with me a moment. Leave your moment in the comments, or, if you're shy, email it to me at thatgirl [dot] sandy [@] gmail [dot you-know-the-rest].

Here's mine. This is from January.

I am in the kitchen snapping string beans under the ugly fluorescent light. All beautiful things and ugly things are visible under this light. There is soft music playing in the living room, and I can hear artists talk about tools and technique. Over this, there is the rhythmic sound of the string beans popping their green, wet noise in the harsh light. I am going to put the beans in a pan with salt, pepper, and olive oil. I'm going to roast them in the oven, and I will savor their exquisite crunch in my mouth. This is a clean, honest, and pure dish. This is a clean, honest, and pure moment.

1 comment:

Garmin said...

I am at Bryant Lake Bowl with my friend from work. We are bowling, drinking, and eating food that my boyfriend has prepared for us. I have never enjoyed beets and knowing this, he has made me pasta with beets, mushrooms, and bison. As I lavish in the flavors of this pasta, he comes up from behind me and whispers in my ear, "And you thought you didn't like beets!" I laugh, mouth closed with the pink food tickling my senses. I nearly burst.